Oak Grove Baptist Church collection
The Oak Grove Baptist Church collection contains record books documenting membership lists, daily church events and financial records. The collection also includes meeting minutes and photographs of church members.
- Creation: 1924-1945
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Biographical / Historical
Oak Grove Baptist Church, located in York County, Virginia is the “daughter” church of First Baptist Church. First Baptist Church, founded in 1776, is one of the oldest Black American church in the United States. After the purchase of a parcel in 1900 and construction of a church building, members of First Baptist formed their own independent congregation, recogniced in 1913. Working with the local Bruton District school board, the church established the Oak Grove School for African American students that was later destroyed by fire in 1940. In 1942,the federal government compelled the church to sell its property as it was located within the planned boundary for the installation of the Naval Construction Training Center (Camp Peary). The congregation purchased land for a new church and cemetery in 1945, and constructed a new church building in 1947. In 2003, the church reacquired ownership of its cemetery. The Oak Grove Baptist Church Historic District is significant for its associations with the Reconstruction-era community of Magruder established by emancipated African Americans.
Biography by the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR)
.63 Linear Feet (1 half Hollinger box and 1 extra tall Hollinger box.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Collection donated by Oak Grove Baptist Church trustees.
- Guide to the Oak Grove Baptist Church collection
- William & Mary Special Collections Research Center staff
- 2024 January
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description