This collection is composed of transcripts and cassette tapes of interviews with 80 people by the Woman's Club of Williamsburg, Virginia to document the World War II experiences of people living in Williamsburg, Virginia in 2004. Folders may contain correspondence, biographical information, copies of photographs, previously written remembrances of WWII, and release forms. The collection also includes a small number of files created by the Woman's Club during the duration of the project.
Some of the interviews are restricted. Restrictions are noted with the list of interviewees in the box list. Release forms were requested in May 2008, after the interview project had been completed. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
The Young Woman’s Club of Williamsburg was federated March 22, 1949. After the Club voted to divide and form a Junior Woman’s Club in January, 1954, the Club was renamed “The Woman’s Club of Williamsburg”.
Membership provides affiliation with the Virginia Federation of Women’s Clubs (VFWC) and the General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC).
Club is in the Tidewater District of VFWC, which includes Eastern Shore, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Poquoson, Portsmouth, Toano, Virginia Beach, York County, James City County, and Williamsburg.
The VFWC was organized in 1907. The GFWC was organized in 1890, and chartered by Congress in 1901. It is the oldest and largest non-denominational, nonpartisan, international service of volunteer women in the world. Membership includes all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and 45 countries and territories.
Work together as volunteers to benefit designated community organizations and projects, thereby enriching the quality of life for all citizens of the Greater Williamsburg Area.
0.80 Cubic Feet
Gift of the Woman's Club of Williamsburg.
All audiovisual material from this collection has been moved to the Manuscripts Audiovisual Collection.
Accessioned and initial processing by Anne Johnson in February 2009. List of interviewees with transcripts and restrictions revised by Jeffreen Hayes in April 2009.
Part of the Special Collections Research Center Repository