The papers, 1917-1918 of Frances G. Hoppin who opened the Red Cross Grenelle Dispensary in Paris, France in 1917, which was one of about 30 civilian dispensaries administered by the Red Cross in Paris at that time. This accession consists of both personal papers and records relating to the dispensary.
Included are two journals in which Frances Hoppin recorded both her personal experiences as well as business items relating to the dispensary. Also included is a 3-page report on the dispensary, detailing supplies, itemized expenses and salaries, and the number of people treated, etc.; personal and business correspondence, newspaper clippings in French and English, postcards, a program for classes in social hygiene, miscelleneous ephemera, and a photograph of a nurse with bedridden children at the Grenelle Dispensary in Paris, France.
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Frances G. Hoppin was a volunteer who opened the Red Cross Grenelle Dispensary in Paris, France in 1917 with the support of the American Red Cross and Pastor and Mrs. Gallienne.
The Grenelle Dispensary was located at 17 Rue de l'Avere, in the 15th Arrondissement. The American Red Cross took over the parsonage formerly located there, reequipped it as a dispensary and on December 1, 1917, it was ready to receive the first patients.
0.2 Linear Feet
Acc. 2007.108. Purchase.
Accessioned from the backlog by Anne Johnson, Special Collections Assistant, in January 2010. Additional description by Lauren Wallace, SCRC staff, in December 2011.