S. Bassett French Papers (I) and (II)
Scope and Contents
Papers and letters of Samuel Bassett French, a judge who lived in Manchester, Virginia during the mid to late 1800's.
- Creation: 1858-1892
- French, Samuel Bassett, 1820-1898 (Person)
- Cameron, William Evelyn, 1842-1927 (Person)
- Early, Jubal Anderson, 1816-1894 (Person)
- Kemper, James Lawson, 1823-1895 (Person)
- Mahone, William, 1826-1895 (Person)
- McKinney, Phillip Watkins, 1832-1899 (Person)
- Minor, John Barbee, 1813-1895 (Person)
- Pryor, Roger Atkinson, 1828-1919 (Person)
- Pryor, Sara Agnes Rice, 1830-1912 (Person)
- Sherman, John, 1823-1900 (Person)
- Tucker, John Randolph, 1823-1897 (Person)
- Tyler, Lyon Gardiner, 1853-1935 (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
1.30 Linear Feet
10/1935: Purchase. 4/16/1998: Gift of Mrs. Marion French Johnson and Ms. Sarah Johnson. Acc. 2000.12, 1 reel of microfilm of Bassett French II, filmed by the Library of Virginia.
Acc. 2000.12, 1 reel of microfilm of Bassett French II, filmed by the Library of Virginia. Transferred to the microfilm collection of Swem Library.
- Guide to the S. Bassett French Papers (I) and (II)
- Finding Aid Authors: Special Collections Staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The collection description/finding aid is written in English.
- May 24th, 2018: Updated by Anne Johnson in November 2009.