Papers of Shepherd & Patton, merchants of Columbia, Fluvanna County, Virginia. Shepherd and Patton was a general store that sold groceries, clothing, medicine, building materials, books and more. Collection contains invoices and correspondence from wholesale suppliers located mostly in Richmond, Virginia but also in Baltimore, Maryland, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and New York. Handwritten orders and requests on small pieces of mostly notebook paper from local customers, with name and date on reverse.
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Shepherd and Patton was a general store in Columbia, Fluvanna County, Virginia operating in the mid to late 1880's. The original proprietor might have been John F. Shepherd. James A. Shepherd and B.M. Patton were the proprietors after 1883.
Shepherd & Patton Papers, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary. https://scrcguides.libraries.wm.edu/repositories/2/resources/9032 Accessed October 31, 2020.