This collection contains subject files, publications, reports, and other material related to the School of Education at the College of William and Mary. The collection includes correspondence from the Dean's Office, photographs of special events, committee reports, and records of the Historic Triangle Substance Abuse Coalition (HTSAC).
This collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
The School of Education was created as a distinct entity within the academic structure at the College of William and Mary in 1961. During ensuing years, the traditional commitment to undergraduate education for teachers has been supplemented by a wide range of graduate degree programs, including conferral of the first doctoral degree in Education in 1972. In the past decade the School of Education has become an institutional leader in advanced studies, as it has accounted for nearly a third of the master's degrees and over half of the doctoral degrees awarded at William and Mary each year.
William and Mary enhanced its formal role in the preparation of future educators starting in 1888 when the Virginia General Assembly appropriated substantial annual grants for the express purpose of funding the College to combine liberal education with certification of teachers for the Commonwealth's emerging public school system. This was reaffirmed in 1906 when the Commonwealth stated that one of its primary objectives in assuming responsibility for the College as a state institution was to insure a source of well educated and trained public school teachers throughout Virginia. In subsequent decades, the College's claim to excellence in professional education escalated due to innovations in two areas: its programs for educating school principals and superintendents; and, founding of the Matthew Whaley School, one of the most influential laboratory schools in the nation.
See http://www.wm.edu/education/overview/history.php for additional information about the School of Education.
This collection is not yet fully arranged and described. Researchers may wish to consult with a staff member for further information in advance of using the collection.
Parts of this collection are stored offsite. Please ask staff for assistnace.
Acc. 1990.022 received 03/1990; Acc. 1994.055; Acc. 1998.015; Acc. 2007.61 received 8/14/07 from Diane Shelton of the School of Education. Information about acquisitions received after 7/13/2009 is available by consulting a Special Collections Research Center staff member.
Future accruals are expected.
A U-matic videotape entitled "Project Mandala" was separated from Acc. 2010.313 and was added to the University Archives Audiovisual Collection on 5/21/2010.
Acc. T2010.012 falls under record series GS 111, 101071 and is set for destruction in August 2010.