Land Indenture between Rev. John Dixon and Charles Mortimer
Scope and Contents
Contemporary copy of a land indenture between Rev. John Dixon, "Professor of Divinity at William & Mary College" and Charles Mortimer for Dixon's Mill in King George County, Virginia.
- Creation: 1773 December 4
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use
Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from the Curator of Manuscripts and Rare Books, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Biographical / Historical
Reverend John Dixon was born in Gloucester Co., Virginia and educated at William & Mary. He was appointed Rector of Kingston Parish in Mathews County, Va. in 1754 and Professor of Divinity at William & Mary in 1770. He served in these posts until his death in 1777.
0.01 Linear Feet
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Harry M. Buten of Merion, Pennsylvania in September 1955.
- Guide to the Land Indenture between Rev. John Dixon and Charles Mortimer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note