Sarah Virginia Weight Hinton Diary
Scope and Contents
Diary, 1855-1862, of a child in Norfolk, Va. (apparently dictated to or copied over by her mother) and of her mother. Concerns trips to North Carolina and New York City and to springs in Virginia and records the family's move to a plantation near Richmond, Texas. Includes reports of friends dying in Norfolk during the yellow fever epidemic of 1855 and records the mothers ill health (possibly tuberculosis).
- Creation: 1855-1862
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
1.00 Linear Feet
150 p. : bound volume ; 20 cm.
Genre / Form
- Children--History--19th century
- Children--United States--Diaries
- Epidemics--United States
- Epidemics--Virginia--History--19th century
- Norfolk (Va.)--History--19th century
- Texas--History--19th century
- Tuberculosis--United States
- Women--Virginia--Social life and customs
- Yellow fever--Virginia--Norfolk
- Guide to the Sarah Virginia Weight Hinton Diary
- Special Collections Staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note