Wynway Hall Guest Register
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of a guest register from Wynway Hall, a guest house located in Williamsburg, Virginia. The register contains the names and addresses of those that stayedid at the guest house.
- Creation: circa 1946-1962
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Wynway Hall, a guest house in Williamsburg, Virginia, was located at 333 Richmond Road. The hHome was built in 1925 by Miles Wills Wynne. Initially, the first floor of the home was occupied by his family, with two apartments on the second floor and two dormitory rooms on the third floor. With the restoration of Colonial Williamsburg in the early 1930s, Wynway Hall opened up to tourists. The house featured 12 guest rooms, 4 bathrooms, and the house was furnished with 18th and 19th century antiques.
During World War II, the rooms were let out to service men and their wives. After the war, the house returned to overnight accommodations for tourists. The business continued in full operation through 1962, with limited accommodations available until 1969. At that time, the house was renovated and made into four apartments.
When the house was purchased in 1925, there was a barn used to stable horses or mules used in the paving of Richmond Road in the 1920s. In 1949, the barn was renovated and turned into the Jack and Jill Nursery and Kindergarten, and was operated by Cary Wynne Boelt, daughter of the builder, from 1949 to 1975.
0.20 Linear Feet
Acc. 2015.082 was hand-delivered to Special Collections by the donor on 04/13/2015.
Accessioned and minimally described by Steven Bookman, University Archives Specialist, in April 2015.
- Guide to the Wynway Hall Guest Register
- Finding Aid Authors: Steven Bookman, University Archives Specialist.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The collection description/finding aid is written in English