John William Jones Papers
Scope and Contents
Letters, 1875-1893, received by John William Jones, Richmond, Va. as secretary of the Southern Historical Society. Most of the letters concern the Civil War. Correspondents include Edward Porter Alexander, Jubal A. Early, Horace Edwin Hayden, Andrew Atkinson Humphreys, Joseph E. Johnston, Charles Colcock Jones (concerning his A Roster of General Officers), Dabney H. Maury, Charles Landon Carter Minor, William Gordon McCabe, H. B. McClellan (concerning the twenty-fifth reunion at Gettysburg, 1888), William E. Peters and Virginia Hortense Woodruff Rodes. Letter, 21 April 1876, from Mary Sophia Hill concerns her treatment by Union soldiers.
- Creation: 1875-1893
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
0.01 Linear Foot
- Southern Historical Society (Organization)
- Early, Jubal Anderson, 1816-1894 (Person)
- Hill, Mary Sophia (Person)
- McCabe, W. Gordon (William Gordon), 1841-1920 (Person)
- McClellan, Henry Brainerd, 1840-1904 (Person)
- Minor, Charles Landon Carter, 1835-1903 (Person)
- Peters, William Elisha (Person)
- Rodes, Virginia Hortense Woodruff (Person)
- Guide to the John William Jones Papers
- Finding Aid Authors: Special Collections Staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The collection description/finding aid is written in English