Pamphlets and brochures from Colonial Williamsburg, plus various invitations and programs for Williamsburg area events.
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
A. Edwin Kendrew was born in Canada and moved to Boston, Massachusetts in 1917. As a member of the Boston architectural firm of Perry, Shaw & Hepburn he became the head draftsman for the Colonial Williamsburg work, then headed the Colonial Williamsburg architecture department. Later, as vice president, he was also put in charge of construction, maintenance and landscaping. He was named resident architect in 1934. In 1937, he was asked to develop a master plan for the future development of the restoration project that was approved by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. From 1946 to 1947 he worked with John D. Rockefeller III, then board chairman, on a new plan for visitor orientation and interpretation. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki: .
0.01 Linear Foot
Gift via the Williamsburg Historic Records Association.