William Harrison Smith Papers
Scope and Contents
Papers of the donor's stepfather, William Harrison Smith, superintendent and postmaster at the island of Jamestown, Virginia. Mostly business correspondence with Ellen Bagby of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (A.P.V.A.) with reports, Elbert Cox of the National Park Service and Ellen Harvie Smith of the A.P.V.A. Includes monthly general reports, financial reports, salary lists, tax forms, soil report certificates, photographs, and newspaper clippings.
- Creation: 1934-1966
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
William Harrison Smith was Superintendant of the Grounds for the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (A.P.V.A.) at Jamestown (1939-1968), Virginia which also included the position of Postmaster at Jamestown (1939 to 1971).
0.70 Linear Feet
Gift via the Williamsburg Historic Records Association.
- Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (Organization)
- Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities--History. (Organization)
- Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities. Jamestown Rediscovery (Organization)
- Colonial National Historical Park (Va.) (Organization)
- United States. National Park Service (Organization)
- Guide to the William Harrison Smith Papers
- Finding Aid Authors: Anne Johnson.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The collection description/finding aid is written in English