Skip to main content

Woman's Club of Williamsburg records

Identifier: MS 00378

  • Staff Only
  • No requestable containers

Scope and Contents

The collection contains scrapbooks, yearbooks, photographs, minutes and correspondence showing the activities, projects, causes and meetings of the Woman's Club of Williamsburg.  The Woman's Club was founded to mostly help local schools.


  • Creation: 1915-2014


Conditions Governing Access:

Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.

Conditions Governing Use:

Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.

Historical Note:

The Young Woman’s Club of Williamsburg was federated on March 22, 1949. After the Club voted to divide and form a Junior Woman’s Club in January, 1954, the Club was renamed “The Woman’s Club of Williamsburg”.

Membership provides affiliation with the Virginia Federation of Women’s Clubs (VFWC) and the General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC).

The club is located in the Tidewater District of VFWC, which includes the Eastern Shore, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Poquoson, Portsmouth, Toano, Virginia Beach, York County, James City County, and Williamsburg.

The VFWC was organized in 1907. The GFWC was organized in 1890, and chartered by Congress in 1901. It is the oldest and largest non-denominational, nonpartisan, international service of volunteer women in the world. Membership includes all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and 45 countries and territories.


6.50 Linear Feet (8 boxes)



Acquisition Information:

Gifts. 1998.35  Gift of Mary Lib Geiger 2000.02  Gift of Mrs. Mimi Loring 2002.05  Gift of Mrs. Jay Dewing and brother Jim Dillard 2002.34  Gift of Woman's Club through Mrs. Mimi Loring 2002.41  unknown. The collection contains multiple accessions post 2002.41, for more information please consult with William & Mary Special Collections Research Center staff.

Related Materials:

Mss. Acc. 2008.76 Williamsburg Woman's Club World War II Oral History Project Collection.

Mss. Acc. 2003.11 Young Women's Club of Williamsburg

Videocassettes and audiocassettes from this collection have been moved to the Manuscripts Audiovisual Collection.

Separated Materials:

All audiovisual material from this collection has been moved to the Manuscripts Audiovisual Collection.


Former collection id: Mss. Acc. 1998.35.

Processing Information:

All scrapbooks received prior to 2003 have been combined under Mss. Acc. 2002.34 and shelved in oversize.

Guide to the Woman's Club of Williamsburg records
Special Collections Staff and Anne Johnson.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Research Center Repository