The Department of Library Science records include newspaper clippings, newsletters, course offerings, photographs of open house displays and people, and records of the Library Science Club.
The collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
The Library Science Department at the College of William and Mary was established in 1931, after the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools established standards for secondary school libraries. Dr. Earl Gregg Swem, for whom the library is named after, served as the first chair of the department, from 1931 to 1935. More information about the department is available at http://scdbwiki.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/Library_Science. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki: .
0.20 Linear Feet
A portion of this collection was previously part of the University Archives Publications Collection.
Acc. 1983.093 transferred from the Library Science Dept. 05/16/1950. This collection was previously accessioned as a Manuscripts Collection (Mss. Acc. 1964-72 received on 10/26/1964).
Several Photographs were separated from this collection on 9/1/2009 and were added to the University Archives Photograph Collection (UA 8).
A box and folder list was created by Patricia Sanabria, SCRC Staff, in August 2009.