Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from the University Archivist, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Biographical / Historical
The Forum of the College of William and Mary took a concrete form in the Spring of 1989 with two meetings and a reception. This effort was revived in 1991, and the Black Faculty and Staff Forum (as it was then known) quickly became a recognized vehicle for advancing the interests of the Black community at the College in the 1991-92 academic year. The Forum organized itself formally with bylaws and duly elected officers in the Fall of 1992.
The purpose of the Forum is to:
* Promote the recruitment and retention, promotion and tenure, and professional development and career advancement of a diverse faculty, administrators, and staff at the College;
* To address issues of concerns to the campus community, including campus climate;
* To provide support for recruitment and retention a diverse student body;
* To expand and strengthen the relationship and involvement of faculty and staff of the College with the wider College community.
* To foster a greater sense of community and mutual support among the faculty, staff and students of the College through mentoring and networking.
The organization's name was changed to the Forum in 2005.