This collection contains minutes of the Psi Chapter of Pi Lambda Phi, from its first meeting in June of 1929 through December 1979.
The collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from University Archives, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library
"Founded at Yale University in 1895, Pi Lambda Phi was the first non-sectarian fraternity in the United States, accepting men of good character without regard to race or religion. Today, Pi Lambda Phi chapters at colleges and universities in the United States and in Canada cultivate communities that promote academics, leadership, social skills, and lifelong fraternal bonds. There are presently 37 chapters in the United State and one in Canada. One of the fraternities more illustrious brothers was physicist and Nobel Prize winner Richard Feynman, often called the Father of Quantum Mechanics."- Pi Lambda Psi website (http://pilambdaphi.org/)
The Psi Chapter (also called Virginia Psi) at The College of William and Mary was installed in June 1929 and became inactive in 2002.
0.50 Linear Feet
The collection is arranged chronologically.
Acc. 1986.036 gift of Pi Lambda Phi 07/15/1986.
Special Collections Staff arranged at the time of accession. Volunteer David Bassett arranged and described in further detail in December 2007.
Part of the Special Collections Research Center Repository