Scope and Contents
Papers, chiefly 1783-1846, of Archibald Woods of Ohio County, West Virginia. The papers concern his family, the Poage family, and the Houston family, as well as his business dealings. Correspondents include Levi Barber, Daniel Call, Philip Doddridge, Chapman Johnson, Henry Lee, James Pindall, Benjamin Ruggles, Daniel Sheffey and John Tyler, Edgar Campbell Wilson, George Washington Wilson and Thomas Wilson. Subjects dealt with in the collection include banking, cholera, the Cumberland Road, land speculation, pioneer life near Wheeling, West Virginia and in Kentucky and Indiana, formation of and early days in Belmont and Monroe counties, Ohio (including the founding of Woodsfield, Ohio), the Northwest Territory, Indians of North America, family life, marriage and courtship, Virginia militia during peacetime and in the War of 1812, Ohio politics, sale of slaves and the Whiskey Rebellion. There are also letters of members of the Baker and Morgan families of Fauquier County, Virginia and Wheeling, West Virginia which concern life in St. Louis, Missouri during the 1840's.
Addition to folder 1482: December 31, 1824 letter from Z. Jacobs in Richmond, Virginia to Archibald Woods regarding moving the College of William and Mary to Richmond.
- Creation: 1777-1846
- Creation: Majority of material found in 1783-1846
- From the Collection: Woods, Archibald, 1764-1846 (Person)
- From the Collection: Baker family (Family)
- From the Collection: Barber, Levi (Person)
- From the Collection: Call, Daniel, 1765 (ca.)-1840 (Person)
- From the Collection: Doddridge, Philip, 1773-1832 (Person)
- From the Collection: Johnson, Chapman, 1779-1849 (Person)
- From the Collection: Lee, Henry, 1756-1818 (Person)
- From the Collection: Morgan family (Family)
- From the Collection: Ruggles, Benjamin, 1783-1857 (Person)
- From the Collection: Sheffey, Daniel, 1770-1830 (Person)
- From the Collection: Tyler, John, Jr., 1819-1896 (Person)
- From the Collection: Wilson, Edgar Campbell, 1800-1860 (Person)
- From the Collection: Wilson, George Washington, b. 1807 (Person)
- From the Collection: Wilson, Thomas, 1765-1826 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from the Manuscripts and Rare Books Librarian, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
From the Collection: 10.50 Linear Feet