A.L.S. of Robert Anderson, Williamsburg, Virginia, to Collector of U.S. Customs, Savannah, Georgia, concerning the brig "Helen" formerly owned by Alexander Macaulay of Yorktown in 1798. Dated 20 December 1825. 2 pp.
Collections of programs, pamphlets and other items from the Williamsburg, Virginia area. Biography and photograph of Comer Clarke Jackson, Manager of Casey's Department Store.
Broadside, "A Card from the Engineer of The E.L. Asylum" by Galba Vaiden, late engineer of the Eastern Lunatic Asylum, about favoritism in firing and hiring employees. Possibly 1890.
Small notebook, belonging to an Armistead Family member, which includes names of a circa 1910 football team following family account information from 1901. Handwriting is different.
Papers, 1909-1966, relating to institutions in Williamsburg, Virginia including William and Mary, Matthew Whaley School and Bruton Parish Church collected by Cynthia Barlowe and Raymond Kimbrough.
Collection of photographs, newspaper clippings, publications, postcards and other items relating to Williamsburg, Virginia.
This item is a November 1933 plat map of Barrett's Ferry, a property along the James River. The land was the property of G.T. Brooks.
Business ledgers of receipts and expenditures for Dr. Baxter I. Bell for Bell Hospital in Williamsburg, Virginia and one folder of loose business papers (25 items). 1926 to 1970. (Acc. 1995.61 and 1999.11)
Edward Belvin's Collection of Williamsburg and James City County, Virginia material. Includes copies of wills and death certificates, correspondence and certificates.
Six scrapbooks of the Berkeley Garden Club.
A report sponsored by the Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools and the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, "Black Education in Williamsburg-James City County, 1619-1984" by Philip D. Morgan, 1985. 1 item. 76 pp.
Nine account books of John Bozarth, 1925-1932.
December 5, 1930 to November 11, 1931: Includes Hartford Fire Insurance policy for Mary C. Taylor and Lois S. Nixon, Indemnity Insurance policy for John N. Bozarth and banking information.
This collection is composed of College of William and Mary Professor of Mathematics Eleanor Calkins' 32 gradebooks from 1927-1961, a notebook with A-Z listings of her favorite musical recordings (the exceptional ones noted in red), and three yearbooks, 1915-1917, entitled Mossoks, from Columbia College in Lake City, Florida.
Papers of Carlton Casey.
The inventory is a guide to Mss. Acc. 1999.48 which is the postcard collection documenting pre-restoration Williamsburg, restored Williamsburg, Jamestown, the College of William and Mary, the University of Virginia, and cities, towns, and holidays in Virginia. Also includes clippings, articles, photographs, programs, and souvenir publications.
Additions to the collection are described individually.
Oversize photograph of Williamsburg Colonial Pageant, Griffith, photographer from Newport News, Virginia, 1921. In very poor condition Photograph of the pageant, cut into 7 pieces. One rolled photograph added in 2011, location uncertain in 2022. 2 programmes of the event.
Copy of a partial typed transcript and a manuscript of the "Partial History of Mrs. Remember Thorp's Life" by Mrs. Remember Bowen Thorp. One page tells of her early childhood, and the next two pages tell of her visit to Virginia and the Williamsburg area in 1907.
Original is owned by the Thorp Family.
Newspaper articles about Williamsburg residents and institutions, businesses and events. Includes clippings, obituaries, notes and speeches relating to prominent residents and major events and important places in Williamsburg, James City County and York County, Virginia. The material was collected by the Newport News Daily Press newspaper.
Obituaries and the story of Williamsburg residents Edwin A. Gilley and Comer C. Jackson who died when their car fell through the open draw on the Chickahominy Bridge, undated, obituary of murdered Harry Burleson of James City County in 1922, photograph of woman in a canoe with a note that it might be Virginia Waltrip, Notebook of handwritten stories by Ellsworth Ayers, dated 1909. There are also photographs of students from the Five Forks School.