The papers, 1807-1855, of the Prentis family of Williamsburg, Virginia, and of various members of the Riddick and Bowdoin families of Nansemond County, Va. Includes legal documents and accounts, 1807-1830, concerning the settlement of the estate of Joseph Prentis (1754-1809); will of Susan Bowdoin; correspondence of Joseph Prentis, Jr. and license, issued to Peter Bowdoin Prentis to practice law.
Receipts, 1825-1839, of Robert McCandlish, an attorney, in Williamsburg, Va. which were pasted into a volume. Includes receipt for the whipping of slaves and for a subscription for Randolph-Macon College.
Contain oystering accounts; farm accounts for "Porto Bella," York County, Virginia and "New Hope," [?]; cash accounts of Williamsburg, Virginia; list of ages and prices of slaves; records of physician's visits to family and slaves; remedy for colic; and memorandum of a purchase of land from College of William and Mary in October 1847.
Letter from Johnson Sands to Lyman B. Wharton about the Powder Magazine in Williamsburg, Virginia. January 9, 1892.
This collection consists of 66 letters written by Robert Saunders of Williamsburg, Virginia to his wife Lucy Burwell Saunders (60 letters) and his daughters Lucy Page Saunders (three letters) and Roberta P. Saunders (two2 letters) from 1829-1867. There is also a letter written on May 4, 1847 to Overton Bernard, the father of College of William and Mary student Jesse Talbot Bernard.
Recipe book, ca. 1820-1900, of Harriet P. Sheldon, Williamsburg [Va.] and Mary B. Curtis, Wilson's Creek, Gloucester County, Va. which includes loose papers and newspaper clippings. The volume includes home remedies and a list of household items. The first portion of the book contains recipe of Williamsburg's women.
Letter written and signed by John Tyler in Charles City, Va. , September 9, 1819 to Robert S. Stanard in Richmond, Virginia concerning a chancery suit between Knib and Dr. Dixon's Exors which had earlier been handled by John Tyler's Father in Williamsburg, Virginia.
A business ledger kept from 1859-1861 by William W. Vest and Richard Hansford, merchants operating in Williamsburg, Virginia. Entries show Vest and Hansford's business dealings with the College of William & Mary and the Public Hospital.