Showing Collections: 26 - 50 of 80
This collection is formed of materials created by the First Baptist Church of Williamsburg, dating from the mid-1800s to the present day. Inculded in this collection are church records such as member rolls, meeting minutes, photographs, bibles, building blueprints, and audio visual materials.
This collection contains deeds, abstracts of title, wills, and other legal documents from the law firm of Geddy, Harris, Franck & Hickman in Williamsburg, Virginia. The bulk of the material consists of abstracts of title to real property located in Williamsburg, Virginia, and nearby counties, including the Historic Area of Colonial Williamsburg, from the 1920s to the 1950s, as well as deeds to properties in Williamsburg and nearby counties from the 1880s to the 1950s.
14 bound ledgers and day books written by George E. Waltrip for the years, 1890, 1895, 1898, 1901, 1906, 1908, 1917, 1923-1924, 1929, 1932-1934. Waltrip was a resident of Williamsburg in James City County when he wrote in his books. The books give an account of the weather, hunting, travel to local areas, including Richmond, and also of the overall dealings of a farmer, merchant, and fisherman from the Williamsburg area.
This collection contains a ledger of accounts for the Goodrich Durfey Estate, located in Williamsburg, Virginia. The estate sold flour, corn, feed, livestock, and other supplies to the Williasmburg community. Some of the accounts listed include the Eastern State Asylum, President of William & Mary Benjamin S. Ewell, John Dix, Robert Saunders, John M. Galt, and Richard M. Bucktrout.
Photostatic copies (likely made circa 1965-1970) of letters written to Mollie M. Graves in Charles City Courthouse, who recently left Williamsburg, Virginia, from friends and relatives who reside in Williamsburg. The letters are addressed in care of Robert W. Graves.
Signatures of letter writers include E.B. Bowman, Martha and Cousin Sallie. 4 letters.
Correspondence, 1796-1811, of Mrs. Caroline Homassel of Williamsburg, Va. to family and friends with comments on Williamsburg.
Content warning: The John Hulit and Charles correspondence contains racist language. The materials have been processed for fair use and research purposes.
A letter sent to John Hulit of James City County, Virginia from Charles, last name unknown, dated December 7, 1851. The letter provides a general description of Williamsburg, Virginia in regards to hunting. Derogative terminology used to describe Black people is contained in this letter.
A manuscript speech addressed to "Friends and Fellow Citizens of Williamsburgh" on 4th of July, 1825.
Not clear if city of Williamsburg, Virginia or another city.
Letter, dated April 28, 1863, from Union Major General John Adams Dix to Confederate General Henry A. Wise requesting he stop the attacks on the Union-held insane asylum in Williamsburg, Virginia. Dix writes that, although the asylum is under the control of the Union, there have been repeated attack by officers of the Confederacy on its employees and residents. Dix also mentions he has directed General Keyes to re-occupy Williamsburg.
Letter; 20 December 1805, Bishop James Madison, Williamsburg, to James Breckenridge, Botetourt County, Va. Concerns defending Madison against a claim to deprive him of land surveyed near Guyandot Falls by Breckinridge. Asks Breckinridge to discount fee at next College [of William and Mary] settlement. Also concerns Madison's Map of Virginia (1807) and a new method of taking latitudes.