The collection of James Gleason represents all aspects of events and activities at the College of William and Mary for the years 1983-2006. Events documented include: Charter Day, commencement, buildings, awards, faculty and staff, students, and athletics. Physically the collection is organized by the "rolls of film taken" and into years they were taken. They are stored and protected in plastic sheets in notebooks and numbered for identification.
The University Archives Greetings File Collection includes greetings sent by the College of William and Mary to other institutions as well as those received by the College.
A card catalog located in the SCRC indexes the items available in this collection. The card catalog was maintained and added to through January 2007. All items added to the collection in 2007 and forward are inventoried in this finding aid.
March 26, 1728 letter from James Hughes to the Governors of William & Mary. Hughes states that he understands by way of advertisement displayed at the Capitol by James Blair that a chapel is to be erected at the College. He states he can do the work for "898 pounds current money," except for the "sashes and glasses in the body of the building."
Letter from John Tyler to Virginia Governor Henry A. Wise dated July 4, 1855. The letter states that Wise's being elected Governor would not be inconsistent with his remaining on William & Mary's Board of Visitors, and that other members of the Board hope Wise will not resign.
The Jan. 9, 1861 letter was written to his father, Henry. Wise mentions the organization of students into a military company under "Old Buck" (President Benjamin S. Ewell) and describes both the uniform and the arms. He also mentions that mail delivery service between Williamsburg and Norfolk has been changed.
His Aug. 26, 1880 letter is to the Board of Visitors, resigning his position as professor of chemistry.