Doris Vargo postcards
Three postcards depicting the Sir Christopher Wren Building on the William & Mary campus. One postcard depicts the front of the Wrent building and is addressed to James H. Ackerson. Another postcard is addressed to Alan Ackerson and shows the back of the Wren building. Both postcards are hand colored, stamped and dated September 1937. One postcard shows an illustration of the front of the Wren building on one side while the other is void of correspondence.
- Creation: 1937
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Biographical / Historical
The Sir Christopher Wren Building at William & Mary is the oldest standing college building in the United States and the oldest restored public building in Williamsburg, Virginia. The building was named for Sir Christopher Wren, who is belived to have designed the structure in 1931. It was constructed between 1695 and 1700, before the foudning of Williamsburg when the capital of the colony of Virginia was Jamestown.In 1699 the colonial capital was moved from Jamestown to Williamsburg, and the Wren Building, became the temporary headquarters of the government from 1700 until 1704, when the Capitol was completed.The Wren was the primary building for William & Mary and housed students and contained classrooms, a dining room, a library, a faculty room, and living spaces for the president and instructors. The kitchen and servants' rooms were located in the basement. William & Mary students attend classes, chapel services and other activities in the Wren building.
.1 Linear Feet (1 legal size folder)
The Doris Vargo postcards are arranged into one series: I. Wren Building postcards.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Doris Vargo postcards were donated by Doris Vargo.
- Guide to the Doris Vargo postcards
- William & Mary Special Collections Research Center staff
- 2023 January
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description