Acc. 1984.070: This accession includes the 1958-1960 budget, capital outlay requests from 1959, and annual financial reports for 1953, 1954, 1958, and 1960.
Acc. 1984.078: This accession includes reports by the Commonwealth Auditor of Public Accounts to determine the extent to which the Commonwealth of Virginia was subsidizing education at William and Mary and its branch campuses in Richmond and Norfolk for the period 1942-1950.
The collection also includes material that was removed from the University Archives Publications Collection related to the Norfolk Division. Items include: The Norfolk Division Institute; English Club Opus I; The Chieftain (1960); Bulletin Series; 1946 Voyager - a Virginia Polytechnic Institute year book; special report to the president (1942); library dedication; financial reports; self study; newsletter; Symposium on NATO (1956); television home study course; The High Hat; and others. The inventory for this accession is available below in the finding aid/inventory section of this finding aid.
Majority of material found in 1953-1960
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
This collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
The Norfolk Division of the College of William and Mary was established in 1930. Its name was changed in 1960 to Norfolk College of William and Mary. The institution became independent from the College of William and Mary in 1962 and the name was changed at that time to Old Dominion College. In 1969 the institution's name was changed to the current Old Dominion University. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki: .
Physical Characteristics or Technical Requirements:
Portions of this collection are stored offsite. Consult staff for assistance.
The provenance of the material that was removed from the University Archives Publications Collection related to the Norfolk Division is not documented.
Acc. 1984.070 received on 9/27/1984; Acc. 1984 received on 10/26/1984.
Future accruals are not expected.
University Archives Audiovisual Collection (UA 58); University Archives Photograph Collection (UA 8); University Archives Oral History Collection (UA 43); records of the Office of the President (UA 2); and other administrative records at the College of William and Mary.
Researchers should also consult with the Special Collections
of Perry Library at Old Dominion University: http://www.lib.odu.edu/special/.
Part of the Special Collections Research Center Repository
College of William and Mary Norfolk Division Records, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary. https://scrcguides.libraries.wm.edu/repositories/2/resources/2343 Accessed July 19, 2019.