Skip to main content

Vinyard Family Papers

Identifier: 01/Mss. 2000.V79
Papers of the Vinyard Family who lived near Vinton, Virginia in Roanoke County. The collection is primarily composed of the business papers (ledgers, bills, receipts, legal papers, accounts and printed material) of N. J. Vinyard, Walter H. Vinyard, and Walter D. Vinyard, Sr. who farmed near Vinton, Virginia. The collection also includes papers of Fannie Persinger, James Thomas Wood and S. H. Wood. The Vinyard family lived near Vinton, Virginia (Roanoke County) and engaged in farming and milk delivery. The three generations covered by the collection are N. J. Vinyard, Walter H. Vinyard (1875-1940), and Walter D. Vinyard, Sr., an alumnus of the College of William and Mary.


  • 1781-1999
  • Majority of material found in 1915-1955

Language of Materials


Conditions Governing Access:

Collection is open to all researchers. Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from the Manuscripts and Rare Books Librarian, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.


2.10 Linear Feet

Guide to the Vinyard Family Papers
Finding Aid Authors: Beth Sturiano, Matt Niendorf SCRC Staff.
Language of description
The collection description/finding aid is written in English

Revision Statements

  • May 12th, 2017: Original Accession and additions intellectually combined in 2009.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Research Center Repository